Sunday, October 12, 2014

What does it mean to be a 'history buff' or to be interested in history?

I think often it's treated like a special club that requires knowledge of dates, and battles, and which general planted what flag where. While I agree that those historical events are important, and worth knowing and preserving, they're not the only types of history worth pondering.

I'm interested in the history of lives. Not just a painting, but the story of the man who painted it. Not just deflation, but the price of bread for a family. History can mean the development of fashion and fabrics, or the history of poetic structure, or the type of shoes men wore in 1725, or the history of Verdi's most popular opera.

What makes you interested in history, and what time period interests you?

I've posted a new short story, this one takes place shortly after the end of World War II. I'll skip ahead to the modern era, and to a cheery pair in next Sunday's story!

1 comment:

  1. Ella, I love this post! I, too, enjoy history for the stories, but I'm not exceptional with dates or facts. I love how you explained your interest in history; I'm going to remember this post when I explain to others my interest in the subject.
    Also, I wanted to let you know, I've nominated you for an award on my blog, here: http://anothernoteblog.com/2014/11/11/an-award-winning-post/. Please don't feel at all obligated to take any action; I simply wanted to pass it along and say you have a lovely blog. :)
    All the best!
    ~ Sarah Rose :)

    ReplyDelete