What's your favorite thing about winter?
I ask this because we are 18 days into January. The weather is cold, the sky is overcast. For many of us (especially if you have little ones running around the house) cabin fever may be setting in. We can't change the weather, but we can change how we cope with it. This inspires me to list five wonderful things about winter:
1. Hot chocolate. Make it and pretend you're in a ski chalet in the Alps. This is a delicious treat that's best enjoyed when there's snow outside, so seize the day and make a cup! Add whip cream or marshmallows or a dash of cinnamon.
2. Do you want to build a snowman? Is there even enough snow outside to try it? If the answer's yes, why not dig out the mittens and make your own Olaf? If the answer's no, well, there's always digital snowmen in Frozen!
3. This brings me to point three: do we really need bad weather as an excuse for a mini movie marathon? Take a trip without the airfare by picking three movies from three different countries. Maybe you can talk your husband into a John Hughes marathon (Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller, Some Kind of Wonderful?). Or try Tolkien, or Marvel, or Disney?
We're on a French cooking films kick in my household. We've watched Haute Cuisine, and Le Chef. It's the closest thing we can manage to a winter trip to Paris, and it's inspired a soufflé attempt for Sunday breakfast.
4. Winter is a wonderful time to learn something new. Try watercolor painting. Finish the scarf you've always wanted to knit. Purchase Rosetta Stone and learn some Italian. Brush up on your algebra! Did you know most museums offer online tours of their collections?
5. Point five is my favorite: if summer is beach season, I like to think of winter as reading season. Or, if you prefer, writing season! It's so much harder to force yourself to stay in one place when the weather is beautiful and the sun is shining. If you're stuck inside, try using that time to get caught up on your favorite authors newest works.
Hopefully this list cheers you up about the prospect of a few more weeks of winter.
Lastly, I'd like to close with a shout-out of thanks to all the people who purchased A Chance for Moonlight in its first week! :-) I've bumped the price to .99 cents, so this is a great time to give it a try. If you like it, please feel free to leave your thoughts on my amazon page! :-) I'd love to hear which of the three couples featured was your favorite.
Best of Luck in the Coming Week!